The group engaged in some very interesting discussions on the role of disability awareness and equality in different education environments. We were very lucky to have three speakers attend our meeting:
- Tara Flood – Alliance for Inclusive Education
- Stan Pierce – Hillside Special Needs School
- Morag Bacon – Bumblebees at Somerhill School
The main topic of discussion at the meeting was surrounding the clear need for disability awareness/equality training in schools and education.
ACTIONS FROM THE MEETING:
- Hillside Special Needs School has extended an invitation to all GIG members to have a tour of the school. Please get in contact with Lilly for more details!
- Morag Bacon at Somerhill School has also extended an invitation to all GIG members to visit them on Friday 22nd May for their Don’t Dis My Ability Day – guide dogs and carers also welcome! Please contact Lilly for more details if you’re interested in attending.
- GIG are starting a new radio project with Free Radio Brighton, which will launch in the next few weeks. Please send us your discussion topics, and contact Lilly to find out how to get involved in creating your own piece for the radio section!
- The Fed’s Business and Services Noticeboard is having an re-launch. Please fill out the survey below to give us feedback on what you would like form the site as a service user. Thanks for your time!
Meeting Agenda – Agenda 13.5.15
Meeting Minutes – gig-disability-awareness-in-education-13-05-15-minutes (3)
BSN Survey – Business and Services Questionnaire